Apple Cranberry Upsidedown Cornmeal Cake December 08 2016
- 1 C fresh or frozen cranberries (thawed if frozen)
- 2 Golden Delicious apples (peeled, cored, sliced into 1/4" wedges)
- .75 C packed light brown sugar
- 2 TBL McClary Bros. Michigan Cranberry
- 1.5 TBL cornstarch
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1.25 C flour
- .5 C fine ground yellow cornmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- .25 tsp baking soda
- .5 tsp salt
- 1 C sugar
- .75 C buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 10 TBL unsalted butter, melted; more for pan
- 1 C heavy cream
- 3 TBL sugar
- 1 tsp vanialla
- 1 TBL McClary Bros. Michigan Cranberry
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly butter a 9 inch round cake pan. Line with parchment paper, butter paper, set aside
2. In a large bowl, toss together cranberries, apples, brown sugar, vinegar, cornstarch, and zest. Set aside
3. In another large bowl whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk buttermilk, eggs vanilla, almond extract, and melted butter. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine with a rubber spatula.
4. Pour the apple/cran mixture in the bottom of the cake pan. Spread in an even layer making sure the cranberries are evenly distributed. Pour cake batter on top and smooth out.
5. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes. Enjoy!
6. For Cream topping: Beat Cream, sugar, vanilla with a mixer until soft peaks form. Add vinegar. Invery cake and serve with whipped cream.